Saturday, September 10, 2016

Summer Solstice QAL- Finished Quilt Top!!

I finished my quilt top for the Summer Solstice QAL!

I am making the one block 48" quilt.  If you remember, I started off with this beautiful piece of blue gradient fabric...

Then I cut all my pieces very carefully to make the gradient work from the center of the block out to the edges...

Last week my block looked like this....

This week I added the white border and then I added an extra gradient border (both to use up the rest of the gradient fabric and also because I thought it would look awesome).  I ended up with a 4" border of the gradient fabric.  I tried a skinnier border first but my sister told me it would look better wider (thanks Christina!).  Without further ado, here is the finished quilt top...


I love it with the extra border!!!!!  The final size is about 56" square.  Unfortunately I am not going to get it quilted up by this Thursday.  I had originally bought Kona Pacific for the backing but upon further inspection, the Pacific isn't quite the right color and I need to get a different blue.  Plus, I did some calculations and I don't seem to have enough backing fabric for the quilt top and binding now that I added the extra border.  Hopefully in the next week or two I will get the right backing and I can start quilting it!

Thanks again to Melissa for holding such a fun QAL!  I can't wait to see everyone's finished quilt tops!

3 comments:

  1. I love it Katie!!!! Oh my goodness, that extra border is just so fun and sets off the block so perfectly!!!! What a fabulous finish :) I just loved your idea of using the gradient fabric from the get go and it just came together so beautifully!!! Thanks so much for quilting along with me, you did such a great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just GORGEOUS! Way to go being patient enough to plan all of this out for your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! I love the various shades of blue. So awesome.

    ReplyDelete