Friday, February 10, 2017

Pink Elephant Quilt

Last summer I was contacted to do my first ever "commission" quilt.  I was very excited about it and got right to work.  My guidelines were that the quilt had to be a certain finished size, and should include pink, white, gray, navy, and elephants.

I sent my client several mockups of designs that I came up with, including these 6 (made with EQ6 software):





She chose the third one and I added the elephant to the design like this:





The hardest part of making this whole quilt was choosing the fabrics from what I found online!  It is so hard to match colors between fabric lines and manufacturers and I ended up dissing a couple of the fabrics that I ordered online.

Here is the final fabric pull:




Once the design was finalized and the fabrics were chosen, the easy part was the sewing!


I backed the quilt with Minky at the request of my client and I used spray basting to keep it from slipping while quilting.  I quilted straight lines 1/4" from each seam in the quilt.  I actually appliqued the elephant after I did the quilting because I wanted to see all the straight lines on the back of the quilt.

Here is the finished product, it ended up super cute!





No comments:

Post a Comment