Monday, December 22, 2014

Quiltcon Reject #1: Star Power

In November, I joined the Modern Quilt Guild as an individual member so that I could enter Quiltcon.  I entered 3 quilts... and one of them got in!  The one that got in is really cool because I created it with my sister while she was visiting me for the Houston International Quilt Festival.  But more about that quilt later... this post is about a reject.

I created "Star Power" mainly because I wanted to see how many times I could put a star in a star in a star.  I was originally going to make each layer be a different star block, but eventually decided to stick with the Variable Star/Sawtooth Star/whatever you want to call it.  It's original name was Star^6 (pronounced "Star to the 6th Power") but I decided that was just a bit too nerdy and shortened it to "Star Power".  It is 64" square.


I created it in a rainbow palette, which is a lot of fun.  It was easy to use scraps for the red, orange, yellow, and green stars but for the blue and purple stars I had to buy a bunch more fabric so I would have bigger pieces!

For the quilting, I just outlined all of the stars and then kept repeating the star shape, does that make sense?  Here is a close-up to see.  The inner stars are about 1/2" apart, but the spacing grows to about 4" by the outside of the quilt.

I love the binding, it is a rainbow stripe fabric, I have bought some more of this fabric for my stash for future rainbow colored quilts.

And finally, some exciting news... I am in the middle of creating a pattern for this quilt and I am going to release it on Craftsy!  I am very excited about this, it is my first pattern and I am having a lot of fun writing it up.  I mocked up the quilt in EQ6 and am having fun showing different color palettes for the piecing, here are some examples. 

 



Hopefully I will release the pattern in January once I have some time to finish it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment