Thursday, January 8, 2015

A MacGyver'ed Light Table

I decided this week that I wanted to draft my own pattern and then paper piece it.  I have seen a lot of paper pieced flying geese blocks and it looked like something that I could do myself.

So, I taped together two big sheets of freezer paper and drew out my design.  I know the pencil marks are light but can you see them?  It is a big v-shape full of flying geese.


Then the next step was to make my pattern to paper piece.  I didn't want to cut my whole drawing apart because then I would lose the original.  I needed a light table to trace the pattern onto smaller pieces of paper.  Do you know what those cost? like $50 on Amazon.  So, I MacGyver'ed up an awesome solution.

I removed my sewing machine from my sewing table and lowered the shelf that it sits on.  Then I positioned my light inside of my table and put my "Sew steady" plexiglass table that came with my sewing machine on top of the hole, like below.

Then I laid my freezer paper on top, turned on the light, and I was easily able to trace my design!

My big mistake is that I forgot to turn over my freezer paper, so my actual design is going to be flipped right to left from what I intended, but it is almost symmetric so I will make it work.

This could work with any sewing table- instead of a stand light like I used you could use a flashlight or a lantern or any other light source.  It would be nice if I had a piece of plexiglass without a cutout in it, but for now this free solution works great!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Katie,
    I was looking for Treasure Chest IV reviews and found your blog. I'm hoping to find a used one also! Two reasons for my comments: 1) How is the the KTCP IV working for you? I'm debating with my hubby whether to try the Treasure Chest or one of the standing/sitting lift tables. Horn of America used to make them, but not any more due to high cost. So my husband wants to buy the adjustable lift base legs and build a table top with a stationary recessed machine platform. He wants to do that to save a couple of thousand dollars. I know that Koala has worked out all of the kinks in their model. One we put together...not so much!
    #2 is perhaps to give you another idea. At quilt shows, I have seen light boxes imbedded into custom quilting centers. I love that idea...of having a very large lightbox ready to go in the table top. Speaking with my local Bernina/Koala dealer about that, she suggested that lowering the machine all the way down on the Koala lift, then drilling 4 small holes into the upper recessed support area, but above the lowered machine. Then by placing 4 little shelf pegs into the four drilled holes and setting a lightweight shelf with lights on top followed by either sheet of glass or smooth acrylic (without the machine cutout hole) that a really large wonderful light box could be made without having to lift the machine out of the table! I loved that idea! Easy peasy and large and perfect! Thought you might like that idea.
    Hope to hear from you regarding you Treasure Chest experience, now that you have had and used it for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeulz-
    I think that you are a "no-reply blogger" so I will post my reply here. Please email me at whatktmade@gmail.com with any other questions!

    I want to let you know that I LOVE the Koala Treasure Chest table and I am so happy that I got it. I will tell you that I watched Craigslist for 3 years until I found it though! But I did save a ton of money, so that made my husband happy :)

    I love the way that the table can fold up and I can put it against a wall in my room if I have company and they need the bedroom, though the wheels are a little bit hard to move on the carpet. Another minus is the weight of the thing... my husband and I nearly killed ourselves getting it upstairs, and we were only able to do it after I disassembled half the table, so beware of that if you purchase one. I love the height of the table, it was really important for me to find one that was "counter height" so my back wouldn't hurt while cutting. I also love the "outback extension", I leave it always extended, I wouldn't have purchased it without the extension. I don't use the drawers as much as I thought I would. I love recessing my machine into the table, I am quilting my first quilt now on my new table and it is amazing.

    The only minus that I have so far is that some of the veneer on the edges was coming off... but it was about 5 or 6 years old already when I got it. I need to try to superglue the veneer back on but haven't done it yet.

    I considered building my own too and making the machine permanently recessed. We have built stuff before and could have done it, but it would have taken us a lot of time, so I think it was worth the money to buy this one. And now my husband doesn't have to hear my comments about me wanting my "dream sewing table" anymore either :)

    Let me know if you have any other questions,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete