Friday, July 17, 2015

Evolution of a Quilt

Today I have a long story to tell.  It is called "Evolution of a quilt".


I started a quilt about 3-4 years ago.  I wanted to made a new quilt for my bed.  I got a set of Kona fat quarters in a blue/green colorway.

Half square triangles were totally "in" 3 years ago and I started to make half square triangles.  4" half square triangles for a queen size bed!  Needless to say, I got maybe 1/4 of the way done and decided that half square triangles just weren't "me".  I put the quilt in the WIP pile and moved on.

Then, last year at the Houston Quilt Festival I saw this quilt at the Modern Quilt Guild showcase:


I had been itching for a while to try out a Wedding Ring quilt and this quilt at the quilt festival totally inspired me to try it with my half square triangles as the centers of the rings!

I came home and laid it out on my design wall with paper as the curved pieces:
and I loved the way that it looked!  Here you can see 4 3x3 squares of half square triangles, I had 9 of those squares, so it could be the perfect size for a baby quilt.

There were a couple iterations to get here, but here it is in its final state!


I am actually kind of in love with it :)  After I sewed all the white curved pieces on, the intersections where they came together were a total mess.  Way too many seams, and they weren't fitting together correctly.  So, I appliqued the little gray diamonds on top of all the intersections and cut out all the extra fabric from the back side!  I also appliqued the wedding ring portion onto the background.  

I was going to quilt it with traditional wedding ring quilting- different quilting in the curves and the centers of the rings, but I decided to go with a giant spiral and I love the way that it looks!  It makes the whole quilt just a little more modern!

My brother and his wife are having a baby boy this August so I am gifting this quilt to them.  However, I am busy thinking about how I could make another one kind of like it!

Linking up with Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts!







5 comments:

  1. I think you did a great job and have a great finish. Love the quilting too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great way to rescue an old wip, it looks awesome! Kat @ katandcatquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great way to rescue an old wip, it looks awesome! Kat @ katandcatquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great way to rescue an old wip, it looks awesome! Kat @ katandcatquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great! I don't think I could look at a WIP and come up with something different. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete