Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Thoughts on Sewing Machine Maintenance

I have a confession... a BIG confession.  I bought my sewing machine in Nov 2010, a Viking Sapphire 875Q.  Almost 5 years later, I have never had my machine serviced.

Picture borrowed from here


When you buy these complicated sewing machines today you are told that they need to go in the shop once a year to be serviced.  Who has time for that?  I can barely stand to take my car in for oil changes and it's yearly inspection.  I even dread yearly doctor and dentist appointments.

However, on my most recent quilt, my machine started acting up, especially with the tension while I was free motion quilting and I decided that it was finally time to go for it's "yearly" checkup.  Luckily, I have fulfilled all my deadlines through the end of September so I had some flexible time to be without my machine.

I bought my machine as a "classroom used" machine after the Houston International Quilt Festival.  The shop I bought it from is 1+ hour drive from my house (since I live near Houston).  Therefore, I took my machine to the local Joann's (which is 10 minutes from my house), since they provide service to Viking machines. 

At my local Joann's, they told me that the Viking service center is currently taking 2 weeks to turn around machines.  After you add in time for shipping, my machine will be gone for 3-4 weeks!!!!!!  Also, it costs $129 for a tune up!

Hypothetically, if I keep this machine for 13 years and take it for tuneups once a year, that means that over it's life I would spend an equal amount for start up cost (buying the machine) and maintenance cost.  Is this crazy?  because I think it is.  The only item besides my car that gets yearly tuneups is my A/C system- it costs much more than this sewing machine but the yearly maintenance costs are about the same.  I am interested in hearing if anyone out there has any other thoughts about this?
Also, I have one other complaint.  If I am expected to be away from my sewing machine for 1 month a year, shouldn't dealers offer "loaner machines"?  Is this a thing anywhere?  Please let me know.  I only lasted 2.5 days without my sewing machine until I broke out my "emergency" machine, a 12-year only Janome with very basic functions (I keep it around because it's great to have when my sister visits me so we can sew together).  It's killing me to be without my "automatic presser foot down" function though... read on to see my favorite (and least favorite) parts of the Viking 875Q...

Things I love after using my Viking 875Q for almost 5 years:
-Large harp space
-Automatic needle threader
-Automatic thread cutter
-AUTOMATIC PRESSER FOOT DOWN (this is the #1 thing I love about this machine, it makes starting and turning corners so fast and easy!)
-Stitch choices are plentiful and I enjoy using them when the circumstances call for different stitches
-I used the "darning" feature a couple times to mend holes in clothing and it was awesome
-Bobbin thread sensor

Things I dislike about my machine:
-Automatic thread tension.  I always feel like my thread tension is off a little bit during free motion quilting and I attempt to change it manually but it doesn't seem to make a difference

Things that will hopefully be fixed when my machine comes back from it's first servicing:
1. Apparently my bobbin threading was "loose".  The woman at Joann's noticed this, I had noticed that my bobbins were getting kind of messy but I guess I ignored it?
2. Somehow I got a burr in my metal stitch plate that was causing me to shred thread when free motion quilting.  I sanded it down with a Dremel, but I am going to purchase a new stitch plate (with inch markings!) for future use
3. I just hope my machine comes back as soon as possible, in good working order, and ready to get back to sewing!

I would love to hear if you have any other thoughts about machine maintenance, let me know in the comments below!

1 comment:

  1. I have a Bernina 1008 (the mechanical machine), and I do take it in for service about every 12-18 months. The last time I took it in, it cost about $100 and took a bit over a week, but the dealer I went to did the service in house. The cost makes me cringe a bit, but I use my machine pretty much everyday for many hours at a time so I don't want it to become out of whack at a bad time. For day to day maintenance I brush out the machine every time I change a bobbin, and change the needle, clean thoroughly, and oil every other day and between projects.

    ReplyDelete