Monday, September 28, 2015

"1st Anniversary Dinner"- A Quilt Show Reject

If you have been reading this blog for a while, you know that last year I had a quilt accepted into the "What's for Dinner?" exhibit at the Houston International Quilt Festival.  It was so amazing to go to the show and see my quilt there that I decided to try to enter the same exhibit this year.

The description of this exhibit is:
"We’ll “set the table” for this Special Exhibit on the show floor with enlarged “place settings”, complete with a placemat/tablecloth, napkin, fork, knife, spoon, and a plate full of “what you are eating for dinner.” This could be your favorite dinner at home, in a restaurant, or what you have for Sunday dinner. We are excited about this theme and hope that it will show a variety of interpretations, fabric choices, and views into different cultures, rituals, and lifestyles. Think colorful, fun, outside the box, and visually appealing!"

This year I decided to create a "1st Anniversary Dinner" placemat.  It is a tradition to eat the top tier of your wedding cake on your first anniversary, so I designed the quilt around that.  I have a piece of (our delicious) wedding cake (which is 3-d) on the china that we received as wedding gifts.  I used the embroidery part of my machine to create two napkins that look like the cake napkins we had at our wedding and then I finished it off with 2 glasses of champagne and a picture of us cutting our wedding cake.  Our wedding colors were blue and yellow.


I am totally in love with this quilt, but unfortunately it was not accepted into the exhibit this year.  Instead, I have hung it on the wall in my sewing room in a place of honor, since it makes me so happy to look at the quilt.

I wanted to share pics of the process of making this quilt since I am always curious about other people's design process.

1. First, I quilted the background in a crosshatch pattern.  Then I appliqued on the napkin squares that I had already embroidered and added the napkin crinkle around the edges.

2. I added the plate and quilted the circle pattern around the edges to match my chine

3. I appliqued on the forks

4. I appliqued on the champagne glasses and quilted a bubble texture in the "champagne"

5. I added the picture- it was printed using my printer onto fabric paper, and then I made the picture frame for it

6.Finally, I sewed on the 3-day cake and added the binding.  Mmmm cake :)

Here is a detail shot so you can see some of the sewing and quilting details:

And the overall pic again:

I am so sad that this won't be seen in the quilt show but at least I don't have to wait a year to hang it on my wall!

2 comments:

  1. That is very clever of you! I think it is a marvellous way to commemorate your anniversary and the 3d slice of cake is a really cool idea - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anniversary dinner seems to be quite stylish. We are looking for one of the beach located venues in San Francisco for bridal shower of our friend next month. Thinking of making creative invitations with ribbons and chocolates. Will go for blue dress code. Also searching some good Dj and lighting ideas.

    ReplyDelete