Friday, June 24, 2016

Baby Quilt

I made a baby quilt and gifted it to a close friend of mine from college.  I actually started this quilt with the backing, I bought it like 8 years ago when I first started quilting and I knew then that it reminded me of my friend because it was so bright and happy.

From that I decided that I just wanted to make it rainbow primary colors since when I started it I didn't know if she was having a boy or a girl.  I eventually decided on scrappy log cabin blocks framed in white.
I have this rainbow stripe fabric that I love to use for bindings and I love the way it looks on this quilt too!


Since one of my goals for the year is to get better at quilting and break away from my usual motifs, I decided to use some techniques from one of Angela Walters' books for this quilt.
Can you see it quilted in the white thread above?  I made a giant flower/orange peel shape in each of the big squares and then I did figure 8's in all the white borders.  I actually love the way that it turned out, the texture of the quilt was so great after I washed it.

My friend loved the quilt, now I just need to convince her not to be scared to use it!  I told her that I would rather see my quilts a ratty loved mess than see them saved in pristine condition :)

Linking up with Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts

No comments:

Post a Comment