Saturday, June 25, 2016

Summer Solstice QAL- Cutting Fabrics

Last week I posted that I have decided to join the Summer Solstice QAL hosted by Melissa at Happy Quilting.  Last spring I did a different QAL (Irish Chain QAL) with Melissa and I enjoyed it so much that I have been eagerly awaiting the next time she decided to host one!

Here is the quilt size that I am making- a 48" one star quilt:

It took me a while to choose fabric for this quilt.  I liked the pink/yellow/orange so much that I was considering using those colors.  But then I went to my local quilt store and I was stopped in my tracks by this beautiful gradient fabric... (it is from Timeless Treasures).  The gradient goes across the quilt from selvage to selvage.


So, I carefully figured out how to do my gradient across the fabric.  I started with the interior Drunkard's Path as the lightest and ended with the corner HST as the darkest.  This took 1.5 yds of the gradient fabric, luckily I bought 2 yards because I am hoping to use it for a border and/or the binding also :)

 My background fabric is plain white Kona.  It was much less complicated to cut up!

And here it is all together, can't wait to start sewing!!

3 comments:

  1. This is SO NEAT! I cannot wait to see how this all comes together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is going to look so cool with the ombre!!!! Just awesome!!! I can't wait to see this come together ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have never thought of doing that! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete