Friday, June 17, 2016

I've got my quilting mojo back!

I go through periods of the year where I just don't feel like sewing.  I can never predict when they will happen, and I am always kind of sad when they do.  I come upstairs and hang out in my sewing room but I just don't feel like making anything.  If I am lucky, I will spend some time organizing or petting my fabric, but most of the time I just leave and go mope around the house.

For me, this started around the beginning of April, right after I finished my Facets quilt, I think I really only finished that quilt because it was part of a quiltalong and I wanted to keep up with everyone else.  Since I finished that quilt I went on a week long cruise, spent a weekend in Hill Country TX, and visited my parents for a long weekend.  I also have been doing tons of yardwork and gardening.  We have lived in our house for almost 3 years now, and the yard and my garden are finally starting to look the way that I envisioned them.  However, now the temperature in TX is above 90 deg every day and I am turning back inside for things to do.

A couple weeks ago, I made a bunch of open wide pouches and drawstring bags for my Etsy shop.
I highly suggest this tutorial for the open wide pouches and this one for the drawstring bags!

 I also when through a brief watercolor phase where I made these awesome digital prints also for sale in my Etsy store...
(the scissors one is my favorite, I have it hanging in my sewing room now!)

Anyway, all of a sudden this week I got my sewing mojo back! 

1. I decided to join the Summer Solstice Quiltalong at Happy Quilting (I did a quiltalong with Melissa last winter and really enjoyed it).   I am going to make the 1-square baby size quilt and I am super excited about it.  I bought the most awesome fabric that I hope will work out!  I will show you more about that next week.

2. I bought the fabric needed to make myself a Super Tote.  I bought the pattern last year and I am excited to finally try it out!
 
(image from http://noodle-head.com/2013/05/super-tote-pattern.html)

3. I bought backing for a quilt top that has been sitting in my closet for almost a year now.  I specifically made the quilt top to go with a certain backing and then the backing that I had was smaller than I thought it was (which I didn't realize until I laid it out to pin) and it also ended up being too busy.  I am still mad about it!

4. I am working on the design of a quilt for my parents with some batiks that they bought while they were on a cruise in Alaska.  I think I might share a post about my design process one day just for fun.

I am currently impatiently waiting for some fabric that I bought online to come in the mail.  I just vacuumed and dusted my sewing room to prep for the weeks to come.  I am so excited to have my quilting mojo back!




No comments:

Post a Comment