Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Appliqued Chains Block- Irish Chain Quiltalong

This week on Irish Chain Quiltalong at Happy Quilting, we had to assemble the blocks for our appliqued chains.  We cut out the petal shapes and placed them on the background squares.  There were two choices for assembling the petals to the background squares- you could starch and pin the petals or use a two sided interfacing and "glue" them in place.  Since I have used the interfacing method before, I decided to try something new and starch and pin my petals.  Melissa suggests that you keep starching and ironing the petals until they are "as hard as a frisbee".  Well I tried that and mine would just not get super hard.  Finally I realized that it was because I use a "light body sizing" instead of the standard "starch" haha.  I decided just to go ahead and pin them in place anyway :)

Here are my 5 blocks all pinned and ready to go for my baby size quilt:

I am looking forward to sewing them together next week!

Also, since I tend to be kind of impatient, I hung up all my blocks on my design wall to see what the quilt top will look like when it is done..
I love it and I can't wait to sew it all together!

Also linking up with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced!



7 comments:

  1. Visiting from Freshly Pieced, those colors look wonderful with the black background!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, it is so fun to see it all up on the wall!!! Great job getting all of your petal cut and in place, loved that you tried something new :) They look fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great colors, the quilt top looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks awesome! Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is looking so cool - love the wonky squares with it and the bold colors really stand out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so fun! I love these three blocks together, using just any one of them wouldn't look anywhere near as cool.

    ReplyDelete