Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Irish Chain QAL- Appliqued Chain Block

This week on the Irish Chain QAL at Happy Quilting we had to stitch our appliqued chain block.  Last week we pinned the petal shapes to our backgrounds and this week we had to secure them in place.

We had many options- we could use a straight stitch, a zig zag stitch, or a blanket stitch.  We also had to choose if we wanted to blend or contrast our thread with the block.  My first choice was easy- I wanted to contrast the thread and use black so it would show up on the petals.  The stitch type was a harder decision but eventually I decided that I should try something new again, so I tried the blanket stitch because I usually use the zig-zag when appliqueing.  I love how it turned out- the black looks great, you can see it in the picture below.


And here are my 5 blocks:

I can't wait to sew them all together this week!

1 comment:

  1. I love the black stitching!! Great idea ;) And way to try something new with a new stitch. Yippee!!

    ReplyDelete