Monday, March 2, 2015

Thoughts on Quiltcon 2015!

I want to share some thoughts with you about my Quiltcon 2015 experience- mostly that I had a great time!

I attended the first Quiltcon in 2013 in Austin (mainly because I live in Houston and it is just a couple hours drive) and I was disappointed.  There weren't that many quilts to see and they didn't have very many vendors either.  I was in and out in maybe 1- 1 1/2 hours?  Part of the reason why I was disappointed is because I live in Houston and I attend the International Quilt Festival every year which is HUGE and amazing.  Also, it seemed like a lot of the quilts had the same "look" about them and kind of had the same color scheme, and a lot of them weren't really my "style".

In contrast, this year's Quiltcon was several times better than the first one (and not just because I had a quilt on display!).  It took me and my sister about 4 hours to see everything.

Things I loved:
-There were a ton of quilts on display, in lots of different styles (However, the matchstick quilting did get a little bit repetitive)
-I loved a lot of the quilts and could see myself using them as inspiration for future quilts that I sew. 
-The vendors were much better- there were 4 large rows and there were tons of "modern" quilting fabric there
-We enjoyed the "exhibitors" also, especially testing our Kona IQ! 
-My sister and I enjoyed all the instagram photos- it was fun looking for our quilt before we were able to get to the show on Saturday!

Things I would change:
-I was disappointed not to be able to purchase a program with all of the quilts listed, especially since my quilt was there!
-This is kind of nit-picking, but we would have liked to be able to purchase the "Quiltcon 2015" bag that they were giving away as a goody bag for the people who were in all the classes.  It was so cute with all the Austin things and sewing things on it!
-I downloaded the Quiltcon app and it was sending me reminders what felt like every 15 min to fill out surveys.  I eventually had to uninstall it because it was eating up my phone battery.

Our quilt "Sunrise Sunset" on display!


Our favorite quilt was probably the 2nd place quilt in the "Modern Traditionalism" category- "Deconstructed Lone Star" by Amy Struckmeyer.


I am kind of sad that Quiltcon is moving to the West & East coasts starting next year, it was really nice being able to drive and not have to commit 12 months in advance to attending.  If I decide to attend again, I will probably try to take some classes because everyone looked like they were having so much fun in their instagram photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment