Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Facets Quilt Complete!

Since the end of January, I have been doing the Facets Quiltalong with Christa Watson at Christa Quilts.  I received her book as a Christmas present this past year and I immediately knew that the Facets quilt was the first one that I wanted to make.  Plus, I have decided that I really need to increase my machine quilting ability beyond stippling and this was the perfect opportunity.

FacetsQALbadge 

Here was the fabric that I decided to use:




We had to make pieces of "improv fabric" and then cut them up to make diamonds:




Then we had to add the background triangles to the diamonds:



And I finally finished the whole top:



The next step was to sandwich with the backing and batting and then sew all the straight line quilting- stitch in the ditch around the diamonds and 1/4" offset into the background fabric.  Then, I quilted switchbacks in the background fabric.
(bonus picture of my quilt inspector!)

Finally, the last step was to quilt the diamonds.  Christa suggested in her book to quilt swirls, but I knew that there was no way I would do that.  I love quilting swirls, but hate quilting them along edges, and knew that this would be continual edges for the whole quilt!  I saw on Instagram that one of the other participants was using straight line quilting in the diamonds and it gave it kind of a "facets" look, and I knew that would be the right quilting for me to use!




Here is the whole quilt!

 I really enjoy participating in Quiltalongs- they push me to get a quilt done on a schedule (haha), they also help to push me out of my comfort zone to try new things, and they have great internet camaraderie along the way.  Thanks to Christa for hosting the QAL and thanks to everyone else who participated and made it fun!

 Linking up (later this week) with Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts :)


5 comments:

  1. Fabulous. I love the quilting you did for it. It really makes the quilt look like sapphires

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks wonderful!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! Fabulous color choices

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this turned out great! lovely

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great quilt! I love the quilting you did!

    ReplyDelete