Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Northcott Colorworks Quilt

I previously posted here about the quilt that I made out of Northcott Colorworks fabrics for their booth at Quiltcon.


I loved working with the Northcott Colorworks fabrics- the colors were bright and vibrant and the feel of the fabric was very nice as well.  I especially loved the print that I was using that was half-square triangles.

My original goal with the fabrics that I received was to make a quilt like the one that I had made for my brother's baby

However, once I started sewing with the actual fabrics, my plans changed along the way!  Here are the fabrics that I started out with:

I very quickly made the 4 wedding rings and centers and sewed them all together:

But I felt like there was something just missing... so I took a picture on the diagonal:
and I liked that a lot better.  So, I sewed down the wedding rings onto the background and added the lavender diamonds.

However, it still looked like it was missing something, even with a colorful binding!


So, I auditioned a couple ideas...



But none of them were really calling to me and it still felt like it was missing something.  So I called my sister :)  She finally helped me to land on this idea with the triangles in the corners.  I felt like it filled up the space nicely and added some more design to the quilt!


Here is a picture from when I was quilting it- I just quilted it with a big spiral (and bright pink thread!)

And here is the final product!  We took it to a local park for a quick photoshoot before I sent it off to Northcott.



I had so much fun making this quilt and I would love the opportunity to do something like this again in the future!

2 comments:

  1. Love your quilt. How do you get into doing things like this for these companies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your quilt. How do you get into doing things like this for these companies?

    ReplyDelete