Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Blogger's Quilt Festival- Large Quilt!

Hello!  I would like to enter the following quilt in the Blogger's Quilt Festival on the blog Amy's Creative Side. 

AmysCreativeSide.com

I call this quilt "The Blue Star Quilt" for lack of a better name.  My husband and I moved into a new house about a year ago and decided that we needed a new quilt for our queen-size bed.  Both of us claim that blue is our favorite color, so the quilt would definitely have to be blue!  I spent a long time gathering different shades of blue for a scrappy blue quilt.

I started off in the center with a scrappy lone star.  I followed a tutorial on a blog that unfortunately no longer exists so I can't link to it.  Then I decided that I wanted a border of flying geese.  I hate throwing away the triangle scraps from flying geese so I used those to make the pinwheels.  Finally, the last border is the scrappy version of my favorite star block (sawtooth star, variable star, it has lots of names!)

I quilted the quilt myself, it is mainly stitch in the ditch around the different borders.  It was such a pain to send this size quilt through my sewing machine that I didn't do any exciting quilting.  The quilt is 96" x 96"!

 
Here it is on the bed, you can see that we painted the wall behind the bed to match and I finally got around to making curtains as well!




And finally, just so you can realize how huge this quilt is, I added a 20-lb beagle for scale.

Quilt Statistics:
Size: 96" x 96"
Fabrics: Scrappy
Batting: Warm & White
Quilting: Stitch in the ditch with white thread

I hope that you like my quilt!  If you are interested in seeing more, please follow my blog!  This weekend I will be going to the Houston Quilt Festival and posting lots of pictures next week, if you are into that kind of thing :)

6 comments:

  1. This is really beautiful and very filled with inspiration for me. Star quilts are my favorite of all i think!! I love all your blues - I have curated a huge collection of blue shades for a project of my own. However, mine will be ocean themed due to the backing fabric having octopi !! LOL Anyway, I'm happy to have found your blog, I am a brand new blogger :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous - an your room is wonderful too. I love that shade of blue. You've done a great job with that quilt, and I love that you've made made your room match it. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's gorgeous! I'm also a sucker for blue and stars. I love the way the design fits just so on the bed, with just the last star border draping over the sides and everything else so perfectly centered on the top. Did you carefully plan that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I'm another sucker for blues. On the bed it makes me think of china. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love blue and white quilts, and yours is simply sensational! I'm very impressed that you used scraps from the flying geese to make the little pinwheels.

    ReplyDelete