Monday, October 6, 2014

10 Quilty Secrets

I recently started reading the blog 13 Spools.  Amy has a really fun thing going right now where everyone lists out their "10 Quilty Little Secrets" and then links up to her blog.  It is really fun to read everyone's secrets, so make sure that you check out some of the other pages in the link-up!

13 Spools

Here are my "10 Quilty Little Secrets"

1.  I prewash EVERYTHING as soon as I buy it.  I can’t stand the smell of the sizing and chemicals that are used in the fabric.

2.  I freely mix “designer” fabrics and (less expensive) fabrics from Joann’s, Hobby Lobby, and Hancock Fabrics.

3.  I don’t like “low volume fabrics”.  I prefer a classic “white on white” print or plain white.

4.  I want to join a modern quilting bee group but am afraid that my fabrics won’t fit their rules and aesthetics (see #2 & #3)

5.  I like making baby quilts the best because they are so much easier to quilt with my machine (I hate the bulk that comes with the big quilts!)

6.  I size almost all of my baby quilts to be 40”-42” wide so that I don’t have to piece the backing.

7.  I use the giant spools of 100% cotton Gutermann thread (from Joann’s) for almost all my quilting.

8.  I HATE ironing seams open.  I will ignore almost all instructions that say to do that!

9.  I don’t bury my thread ends, I cut them!

10.  I love hand sewing my binding.  I consider it to be the end of a long process and the last time that I get to spend with my quilt before it gets sent off into the world.  Also, it is a good excuse to watch Hallmark movies or chick flicks J
What are your quilty little secrets?


2 comments:

  1. Finally, someone who prewashes to get rid of the smell. Hardly anyone confessed to that. Rarely does new fabric make it past the washing machine. And I am with you on the thread - besides the cost, I find that expensive thread to leave a lot of lint - despite what so many others say. Sounds like you just enjoy quilting. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, you're one I'd like to know. I love your answers. I don't iron seams open as they aren't as strong that way, the batting can migrate thru the join. I have to go see your quilts now. LeeAnna who didn't match the modern quilters either, because I like any and all fabrics that give the effect I want
    my blog is not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete