Friday, February 5, 2016

Born on the 4th of July

My sister and I decided last year that we wanted to make a quilt for one of our aunts.  The quilt started with an idea that we wanted to make it red, white, and blue since this aunt of ours was born on the 4th of July.  We also decided to make it wonky stars since we had never tried that before and we wanted to try something new.

We decided to make 4 sizes of wonky stars- 6", 9", 12", and 15" finished stars.  We both collected as much red, navy, and white fabrics as we could.  I started cutting the fabrics before my sister came to visit so that we could optimize our sewing time.


Somehow I don't have any other process pics of this quilt, but here is the finished product:

We basically sewed a whole bunch of the wonky stars- each star is made up of a red or blue fabric and a white fabric, but all the stars have different white-on-white backgrounds.  Then my sister was in charge of figuring out the layout- she laid out most of the quilt and then we made a couple more stars to fill in the gaps where we needed them.  Finally, we sewed the whole top together.

I quilted the quilt using a loopy pattern- it was my sister's idea and I really love the way that it made the quilt look!  I have never used a loopy pattern before but I will for sure use it in the future!  Then we sent the quilt home with my sister and she finished off the binding.

We gave the quilt to our aunt for Christmas and she really loved it!  It was fun to make and I enjoy collaborating with my sister on quilts too (most of the time!)

Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday!

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome.... I'm working with red, white and blue too. So crisp and patriotic. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this look is good.
    click on this http://www.weaveron.com/

    ReplyDelete