Monday, February 29, 2016

Kona Color of the Year Challenge

The Kona Color of the Year is HIGHLIGHT!






When I was at Quiltcon last week Robert Kaufman Fabrics were handing out the following card along with a fat quarter of Highlight:

In order to join the Kona Color of the Year Challenge all I had to do was make a block using the color Highlight and other Kona solids.  Easy, right?  But what block should I make?? and what colors should I use??

First I took the color Highlight and tried to find some good colors to go along with it.  My original plan was to pair it with Navy, however, I accidentally put the Highlight next to the color Water and then I couldn't get that combination out of my mind.  I also added in Iron for the background.

Then I got out my trusty block book, "1000 Great Quilt Blocks" and started paging through, looking for a good 3 color block.




The following block caught my eye and then I couldn't get it out of my mind:

And here is the final product:

It's a fun block and I really like the way it looks with the colors I chose, but there is no way I would make a full quilt out of this block!  If I did, I would have to figure out a more efficient way to make it, it is only 16" square but it took so long to sew together.

I have entered the Kona COTY challenge on Instagram, go there to find all the other blocks that people are making with the color Highlight!

No comments:

Post a Comment