Monday, February 22, 2016

Pillow Covers

Occasionally I do sewing projects for Home Decor things instead of just for quilting.  Recently, one of my good friends found out that I opened an Etsy store and she asked me to make some pillow covers for her mom and she would buy them from my Etsy store.

The only requirements that she gave me were the size and that they had to include a "slate blue".  I did a lot of searching online and send her a bunch of options and eventually we decided on this fabric because it had a smaller repeat than a lot of the other home dec fabrics and would be good in pillow size.

Mental note to myself:  do not choose such geometric fabrics for pillow again!  It took more time to figure out how to cut the fabric so the best part of the pattern repeat was in the center of the pillow and to match the sides and top/bottom of the pillows than it did to actually sew them.

The fabric was slightly see-through so I lined the pillows with leftover curtain lining that I had laying around.  I did try one new thing with these pillows- I added an invisible zipper!  This was my very first invisible zipper project and once I got the hang of it, it wasn't that bad.  I used this tutorial that I found online where you sew together the fabrics first and then sew the zipper in place and then rip the first seam that made apart.  It actually worked really well and I would love to link to the tutorial but I can't find it, sorry!  I will keep looking.

Anyway, here are the final pillow covers, I mailed them out this week.  Hopefully my friend and her mom like them!


No comments:

Post a Comment